IENA – International Exchange of North America
- Summer Camp Returner and Direct Placement Program / 2016
Terms and Conditions
The following are the areas of responsibility for the camp, the applicant and IENA. The camp and applicant signatures on the IENA registration and application forms indicate that these Terms and Conditions have been understood and agreed to by all parties.
The applicant agrees to:
• Abide by the terms of the camp contract and to carry out the duties detailed therein to the best of his/her ability at all times;
• Negotiate salary, travel to camp, time off, etc., directly with the camp;
• Provide 2 acceptable references (1 for a returner) and a police background check dated no earlier than September 2015;
• Arrive in camp on the date agreed with the camp;
• Abide by the terms of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa program, to conduct him/herself at all times so as not to bring the camp, IENA, or the US State Department into disrepute and to obey the laws of the United Sates while working and travelling in America;
• To leave the US before the expiry date of the visa, or by the end of the 30-day grace period after the end date on the DS-2019 Form;
• Maintain insurance coverage for the duration of their entire stay in the USA;
• Bring at least $600 in personal funds with them to the USA;
• Immediately contact IENA if it is necessary to cancel at any time, or to return home early before the completion of the contract;
• Return the DS-2019 to IENA in the event of a cancellation before entering the USA.
• Support Staff ( participants working in the kitchen, maintenance or office areas of camp) also agree to contact IENA every 30 days as required by the visa regulations.
The camp agrees to:
• Screen and interview new ‘Direct Placement’ applicants and provide an acceptable interview report to IENA on the official IENA form;
• Provide all applicants with a contract and full pre-arrival information including salary, any deductions, job description and responsibilities, camp regulations, time off details and general information about the camp and its policies. The DS-2019 form will be issued with the same start and end dates (including pre-camp training) as are on the contract.
• Provide suitable training and orientation for participants on arrival at camp;
• Provide, without charge, food and accommodation for the duration of the time at camp;
• Assist international staff with transportation out of camp during their time off;
• Provide Workers Compensation insurance coverage;
• Pay (or have applicant pay) program fees to IENA on application;
• Reimburse the $35 SEVIS fee to any applicant who has paid the IENA fee upfront;
• Agree salary terms and transportation arrangements directly with the applicant;
• Comply with Federal, State and local regulations regarding minimum wage and payroll deductions. Note that J-1 participants are exempt from Social Security and Medicare deductions. IENA will provide updated information on tax before the summer.
• Provide assistance with the Social Security application process;
• Comply with IENA’s requirements regarding SEVIS validation;
• Comply with IENA’s requirements on 30-day reporting for Support Staff;
• Consult with IENA before early departure of any IENA-sponsored participant.
• In addition, the camp recognizes that participants are in the US on cultural exchange programs and agrees to facilitate or provide access to cultural activities or places of interest specifically for the benefit of international staff members. The camp also agrees to include all international staff in any special trips or events.
As sponsor, IENA will:
• On receipt and approval of all required application documents including the camp registration form, and payment, request and issue the DS-2019 Visa Eligibility Form;
• On issuing the DS-2019 form, send it, along with visa and SEVIS information and supporting documentation, direct to the applicant;
• Provide ongoing support and access throughout the application and visa process;
• Provide 24/7 emergency access for participants while they are in the USA;
• Provide up to 4 months of health and accident insurance coverage;
• Fully honor all obligations of a designated program sponsor.
• IENA reserves the right to reject at any time an application which is not deemed to be in the best interests of the program. For all applicants, the ultimate decision to grant or refuse a visa is made by US consular officials and is beyond IENA’s control.
Fees and Cancellations
• The standard program fee is US$340. For staff applying in Canada and providing their own insurance, the fee is $225 for a returner and $250 for a first-time applicant.
• For applicants in Canada who are not providing their own insurance, the fee ( including Plan B insurance) is $340 for a first-time applicant and $315 for a returner. Plan A can be added for $55 extra.
• Fees are payable at the time of application;
• The fee covers: J-1 visa sponsorship for the duration of the program (up to 4 months), comprehensive accident and health insurance (as applicable), issuance of the DS-2019 Certification of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor status, payment of the nonrefundable $35 SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) fee, courier fees, program documentation including information on how to apply for the J-1 visa, validation and ongoing support and assistance for the participant and camp.
• If an applicant does not complete the application process, or cancels before the DS-2019 Form has been requested, there is a refund of any monies so far received minus a $45 processing fee.
• In the event of a cancellation, for any reason (including visa denial) after the DS-2019 Form has been requested or before the start date on the DS-2019 Form, the applicant must return the DS-2019 form to IENA. IENA is obligated to report the cancellation in SEVIS. Once the DS form is received by IENA, there is a refund of $80, or $120 if the applicant has added the baggage / trip delay coverage (Plan A) There is no refund for an applicant who has chosen to take his/her own insurance.
• If a participant withdraws from the program after entering the USA, there is no refund.
• The charge for re-issuance of a DS-2019 form as a result of a change in the original information provided by the camp (e.g. change of start or end date) or participant (e.g. incorrect date of birth) is $40, plus express mail or courier costs.
• The charge for replacement of a lost DS-2019 is $40 plus express mail or courier costs.
IENA Summer Camp Program 2016