How to Apply
Please email email@example.com for an application and instructions on how to apply.
Documents to include with your application:
- Three academic or work references. Cannot be completed by a family member.
- Local police background check (does not need to be an FBI check).
- A copy of your passport bio page (the page with your photo and passport details).
- One digital photo
- Your resume detailing your work experience and volunteer experience, if applicable.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of $50.
Application deadlines: For January arrivals, please apply no later than October 15th ; July arrivals should apply no later than April 15th.
The program fee is $700 for a 5 month program and $900 for a 7-12 month program and includes a non-refundable application fee of $50. After submitting your application to IENA we will arrange a Skype interview between the applicant and our partner in Colombia. If you are accepted to the program after your Skype interview you will be required to pay a deposit of $340 to secure your place on the program. Once we have placed you and you have accepted the placement, the remaining balance of your program fee will be due ($310 for the 5-6 month placement or $510 for the 7-12 month placement). The program fee covers school or university placement, pre-departure and visa support from IENA, airport transfer to your pre-placed housing, orientation, social events and ongoing assistance for the entire time you are in Colombia on our program.
IENA and the ACJ YMCA will assist you with the visa process and will provide the necessary paperwork for your visa application. You may be required to physically go in person to the Colombian Consulate to submit your passport and visa application for processing. Visa processing takes on average one month.
Other costs to consider:
- Travel insurance, you can provide your own policy or purchase insurance through IENA.
- Visa application fee, currently US$52.
- Visa fee currently US$172.
- National ID approximately US$65
- Public transportation costs to/from your placement, if applicable.
- Support funds/spending money.
The program application fee of $50 is non-refundable.
If you cancel from the program after you have been accepted to the program but before you are placed a US$300 cancellation fee will be imposed.
If you cancel from the program after you have accepted your placement, no refund is possible.
In all cases a cancellation must be received in writing and is only effective from the date we receive it. Remember also that separate cancellation fees and conditions will undoubtedly apply to any flight bookings you make.