FAQ’s, Advice Blogs and Vlogs

If you’re looking to be inspired whilst also learning about Australia, check out Welcome to Travel’s helpful blogs and videos.

Questions About Traveling

Do many people travel Australia alone?
Yes! Because Australia is a safe country and with so many incredible places to visit, it’s very popular with solo travelers. Our tours are perfect for solo travelers as they’re a great way to meet people and become comfortable with Australia.

When is the best time to come to Australia?
Any time! Australia is so big that it is always warm somewhere. The official Summer is Dec-Feb but down South (Melbourne and Sydney) it is generally good weather from Oct-Mar. Although it gets cooler after that, the North of Australia is always warm. When it’s summer down South, the North has its wet season, meaning when it’s winter down South, it’s actually the dry season up North, and that’s why we say any time!

Do I need a visa to come to Australia?
Yes, you do! If you’re coming here just as a tourist to visit Australia, you’ll need a Visitor Visa. If you’re coming here to work while you’re on holiday, you’ll need either a Working Holiday Visa ($417AUD) or a Work and Holiday Visa ($462AUD), depending on which country you’re from. You can find more information and a list of the various visas here.

How do I apply for a visa?
We recommend organizing this as soon as possible. The application can be completed through your travel agent, or directly through the same Australian Government website as above. We always recommend checking Australian Government website for any specific enquiries.

How much money would you recommend bringing to Australia?
This depends on trip length, your travel style (backpacker or flashpacker) and what you are wanting to experience here in Australia. According to the Australian Government, you need $5,000AUD in your bank account on arrival if you’re coming on a Working Holiday visa. This is a good savings target if you are wanting to either travel for a month or set yourself up for working and living in Australia after the Welcome to Travel week. However, everybody is different and to give yourself the best chance of experiencing as many things as possible in Australia, we would recommend just saving up as much as possible before you come travelling.

Questions About a Working Holiday in Australia

How will I find a job?
Our Partner – Welcome to Travel will provide exclusive tips, resources, and guidance towards finding a job and farm work in Australia.

They will provide you with all the basic information needed to get started, and give you access to Their huge database of employers and contacts in sectors such as hospitality, retail, construction, sales and marketing and many more. This is all before having a 1-on-1 meeting with them, where they will go over how they can specifically help you find work.
They also send out a weekly update email that highlights the most recent job and farm work opportunities they come across.
Do I have to do farm/regional work?
No! However, if you are on a working holiday visa ($417AUD) and want to extend your visa to a 2nd or even a 3rd year, then you would need to do some specified work, often farm work/rural work. All the necessary specifications are here on the government website.

How do I get a 2nd year and 3rd visa?
If you are on a Working Holiday Visa ($417AUD) or Work and Holiday Visa ($462AUD) then you need to complete at least 3 months of specified work in a specific area of Australia to earn a 2nd year visa.

The specified work differs between $417AUD and $462AUD visas. $462AUD visa holders have the additional sector of tourism and hospitality (in northern Australia only) added to the specified work list.
All the necessary specifications for a $417AUD visa are here on the government website, and here for a $462AUD visa.

How do I apply for a visa?

We recommend applying as soon as possible.
The application can be completed through your travel agent, or directly through the same Australian Government website as above.
We always recommend checking Australian Government website for any specific enquiries.
What is Superannuation and am I entitled to it?
Superannuation is Australia’s pension fund scheme.
Being on a working holiday, you’re entitled to have a superannuation account and your employers have to pay into this account.
Do I need a bank account?
If you’re traveling as a tourist for just a few weeks, you don’t need one – a travel card will be great. With cheap rates, tiny fees and a really to use app, we always recommend Wise.

If you’re here for a longer period of time (for example, on a Working Holiday Visa) then it’s highly recommended to open an Australian bank account. It’s an extremely easy process that our Partner – Welcome tours will assist you with. Not only will you save a lot on exchange/transaction fees, but employers will only pay wages into an Australian account. Don’t worry about it now, Welcome tours will help set it up for you in the weeks leading up to your arrival.
What is a Tax File Number?
This is basically a personal identity number created for you by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). It is required if you want to work in Australia, so that you can be correctly taxed on your income from day one.

You will provide this number to each employer you have while you are in Australia and your tax will be deducted from your wage accordingly, just as it would be in your home country.