The time has come, and summer is almost here! Your trip to the US is just around the corner (or already underway!) We are so excited for you to begin your adventure this summer. You will have the opportunity to work hard, make friends, and make a positive impact on lives this summer!
Before you travel, please make sure you remember to bring the following documents with you, as well as complete the important below tasks:
1. Your Passport
2. Your DS-2019 form. This is a very important document! You will not be able to enter the US on your J-1 Visa without your DS-2019, so please do not forget it!
3. Travel Instructions from your employer- any relevant information on how to travel onwards from the airport, or where your designated pickup area is if your employer will collect you at the airport.
4. Important Phone numbers for your employer
5. Your Health Insurance ID Card. This can be accessed by logging into your IENA account and clicking on the insurance icon. If you have not done so yet, please update your insurance dates to match your arrival/ departure dates, so you have health insurance for your entire stay in the US!
6. Have you logged onto your IENA account and updated your travel and visa information yet? Once you login to your account, there is a travel icon for you to upload your flight information as well as a “Visa” icon for you to officially let us know your visa has been approved by the US Embassy. Please do this before you depart. It’s very important!
7. Schedule your Covid-19 test within three days of your departure! You will not be able to board your flight to the US without proof of a negative Covid-19 test within three days of travel. This is required for all people entering the United States. For more information, read this notice on the US State Department website. We encourage you to start looking for a local testing center now in your area, so you are prepared and can schedule an appointment there closer to your departure date. Please keep your employer updated on your test results.
Arriving in America: Once you pass through Customs, you will begin to make your way to your destination. Did you speak to your employer before your arrival to share your flight information and find out how you will travel onwards from the airport? This is very important! Do you know the phone number of your employer?
If you find yourself in a situation where you do not know where to go or what to do, you should CALL YOUR EMPLOYER FIRST. The director who has employed you will be able to help you in providing instructions on how to travel to your destination from the airport, or if they are picking you up at the airport. Please communicate with your employer directly- this is very important.
The day you arrive in America, please get in touch with your parents and those that care about you to let them know you have arrived safely. Often times, your friends and family are nervous that you are in another country- informing them of your safe arrival will bring them a welcome sense of relief! (and if you do not, they’ll call IENA asking where you are!) Save your loved ones from being concerned and contact them to let them know you are safe as soon as you arrive.
If you find yourself in an emergency and need assistance, IENA has an emergency hotline to help. Our toll free phone number is 888-724-4292 x4 (emergencies only). An emergency constitutes if you have been in an accident, injured, arrested, fired from camp, etc.
You are on your way to an amazing summer experience and we are so happy for you! Please have a happy and safe summer- we will see you soon! 🙂