Work in Canada

Work in Canada offers you the opportunity to combine work and travel in a different North American setting. On this program, you can spend up to 12 months living and working in Canada. Gain international work experience in a place that’s close to home but very different! Work in Canada is a program authorized by the Canadian Government to allow US citizens aged 18-35 to travel and work in Canada for up to 12 months.

“I greatly improved my French skills working in Montreal.  I was also lucky enough to see Paul McCartney play on the Plains of Abraham for free.  I also joined a band in Montreal for the summer and got to play a few gigs.  It was the greatest experience ever!” – Work in Canada Program Participant

Our partner in Canada, SWAP Working Holidays, is the Canadian government Recognized Organization. The program is administered in America by IENA. Upon arrival at a Canadian Port of Entry, you will present your government issued entry document to Canadian Immigration along with your US passport, proof of medical insurance and proof of support funds. You will then be issued a Canadian Open Work Permit valid for up to 12 months.

You choose the date you wish to enter Canada within your eligibility period and book your own travel accordingly. If you wish to take advantage of the free arrival orientation, you should make your way to the SWAP offices in either Toronto or Vancouver. However, you can be as independent as you choose and still have the knowledge that SWAP will be there throughout your stay to help you if needed.

Combine work and travel in a different North American setting. Spend up to 12 months living and working in Canada. Gain the international experience of working abroad without actually having to go overseas!

Work in Canada Program offers:
  • Free choice of arrival date into Canada.
  • Pre-departure support from IENA, with many years of experience in administering international student exchanges at your disposal.
  • Step by step instructions on how to apply for work permit approval as part of the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
  • Discounted, comprehensive worldwide travel insurance with $500,000 in medical coverage and $0 deductible.
  • SWAP Hosting Centers in Toronto and Vancouver, job and accommodation listings, plus general advice from friendly, knowledgeable staff.
  • Arrival Orientation packed with important information to prepare you for your stay. Advice on bank accounts, tax, applying for a SIN (Social Insurance Number) as well as practical information on job and accommodation hunting!
  • Access to SWAP’s online job database that has listings of jobs available in British Columbia and Ontario.
  • Free internet, Wi-Fi, and computer facilities, plus use of telephones and mail service.
  • Social activities including sports events, pub nights and excursions.
  • After Hours Emergency Assistance: SWAP is there to help even after the office has closed.

Work in Canada Eligibility

You must:

  • Be aged 18 – 35 (inclusive).
  • Be a US citizen (with a valid US passport).
  • Have a clear criminal record.
  • Have proof of support funds equal to at least CA$2,500 on entry to Canada.
  • Have proof of adequate medical insurance (including personal accident and repatriation of remains) on entry to Canada in excess of CA$25,000 as you will not be covered by the Canadian socialized medical system while working in Canada. You can provide your own coverage or you can purchase insurance through IENA, policy details can be found via www.iena.org.
  • Not bring dependents with you to Canada on this program.

You can participate in the program twice if you meet eligibility requirements (limited number of work permits available)

Apply Now for Work in Canada